New York City-based private equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, will purchase building materials manufacturer Ply Gem of Cary, North Carolina. The company will also purchase major window and door producer Atrium with headquarters in Dallas, Texas.
According to The Freedonia Group, a leading international industrial research company and division of MarketResearch.com, the combined revenues from Ply Gem and Atrium are expected to exceed $2.4 billion. C&DR will own 70% of the new company, while Atrium shareholders (which include funds managed by Golden Gate Capital) will control the remaining 30%.
Freedonia Group Analyst Carolyn Zulandt said, "Ply Gem and Atrium are complementary businesses with broad window and door product offerings. The two companies attempted to merge over 20 years ago, but Ply Gem eventually terminated the agreement and accepted an offer from building products firm Nortek."
"This new combined company will benefit from improved production and distribution efficiencies, as well as advantages like shared technological expertise in a very competitive industry. Together, Ply Gem and Atrium should capture a share of the US window market that comes closer to that of industry giant Andersen than any other supplier,” Zulandt explained.
"The greater economies of scale and scope of the larger combined company should also make it a stronger competitor in the other building product markets served, which include doors, fencing, roofing, and siding," she added.