"Sustainability is here to stay," Jones Lang LaSalle writes in its Industrial Revolution Turns Green white paper. The study examines the move towards sustainable development and building practices in the U.S. industrial property sector.
Some of the top green criteria industrial business owners are considering include:
• Environmental impact from building operations;
• Energy consumption and efficiency of lighting and HVAC;
• Choice of building materials, fabrics, and systems;
• Clean air and drinking water, and a healthy environment for employees; and
• Hazardous gas or chemical emissions from building operations or materials.
Industrial owners' attitudes towards sustainable development are also shifting. In a survey conducted by Jones Lang LaSalle and CoreNet Global, nearly 70 percent of 400 surveyed corporate real estate executives called sustainability a "critical business issue." In 2009, 74 percent of those surveyed said they would pay premium prices to sustainably retrofit sites, compared to 53 percent in 2008.