- 1. Use environmental analysis as a catalyst for innovation;
- 2. Focus on a list of suppliers prioritized by environmental impact.
- 3. Manage environmental impacts where they occur-ideally before they occur or get worse.
- 4. Focus on the business, not social, value that green supply chain management creates.
- 5. Align green supply chain goals with business goals.
- 6. Evaluate the supply chain as a single life cycle system.
- 7. Encourage engagement and collaboration among all key stakeholders and provide training where appropriate.
- 8. Ask suppliers the right questions. The following questions are common:
- • Details regarding their corporate environmental goals as well as the policies and procedures they use to ensure minimum impact on the environment
- • Environmental performance awards, recognition, and certifications
- • Participation in Carbon Disclosure Project, Global Reporting Initiative, or similar efforts
- • Internal incentive and governance programs regarding environmental performance at the Board of Directors and C-suite level
- • Greenhouse gas emissions programs
- • Ability to identify opportunities for eco-related tax incentives or utility company rebates
- 9. Listen to the ideas of suppliers for how to assess performance in different industries. Unilaterally announcing a new set of sustainability ratings to suppliers without taking industry differences into consideration may lead to missed opportunities for improvement and other negative ramifications.
- 10. Utilize technology to support sustainable sourcing efforts.
Top Ten Best Practices for "Greening the Supply Chain"
Latest Trends in the Industrial Real Estate Sector Here to Stay
2021 Gold & Silver Shovel Awards Project of the Year: CREE Wolfspeed’s Wafers Key to Charging of EVs
Where's the Talent: Jobs Outlook in the Fastest Growing U.S. Cities
A New Approach to Energy Savings for Your Next Manufacturing Plant
2020 Top States for Doing Business Showcase Their Pro-Business Environments
A Turnkey Approach to Manufacturing Location Decisions