PricewaterhouseCoopers' Manufacturing Barometer T - Business Outlook Report, April 2009
Overall, U.S.-based industrial manufacturers project more stability, if not improvement, in early 2010. Looking at the next 12 months, they project slightly negative revenue growth overall, but more expect positive rather than negative growth, a reversal from the prior quarter. Demand and decreasing profitability are overwhelming concerns, and the majority remain pessimistic about the U.S. and world economies over the next 12 months. International sales among those marketing abroad have slowed, but the pace of layoffs may be lessening.
• Senior executives of US- based industrial manufacturers project an average minus 0.7 percent growth over the next 12 months.
• International sales turned increasingly negative in first quarter 2009 for those marketing abroad.
• Pessimism remains even toward the U.S. and world economies over the next 12 months, with 55 percent pessimistic toward the U.S. economy and 58 percent pessimistic toward the world economy.
• Concern about lack of demand is the overwhelming potential barrier to growth over the next 12 months, cited by 95 percent of respondents.
• Gross margins were up for only 15 percent but down for 47 percent - a net 32 percent with lower margins, reflecting greater margin pressures.
• Plans for major new investments of capital over the next 12 months sank from 33 percent last quarter to 24 percent.
• Although work force layoffs are planned over the next 12 months (42 percent net reducing), the pace of reductions may be slowing.
2023 Top States for Doing Business Meet the Needs of Site Selectors
2022 Top States for Doing Business Provide an Environment for Business Growth
Why the Southeast Is Winning EV Projects, With More on the Way
EV and Semiconductor Projects Stand Out in States Receiving Area Development’s 18th Annual Shovel Awards
Power-Intensive Site Selection
EV Impacts to Watch in 2023 and 2024
2023 Auto/Aero Site Guide
First Person: Establishing a Robust Rare Earth Magnet Supply Chain