Georgia Department of Economic Development- Biosciences Top Priority in Georgia
Biotech Location Guide 2008
"We are committed to cultivating the exceptional talent that's critical to keeping Georgia on the leading edge of research, product development, and groundbreaking advances," says Carol Henderson, director of the Georgia Department of Economic Development's Innovation and Technology Office (ITO).
The ITO, along with its partners, harnesses the state's resources to spur the continued growth of Georgia's science and technology industries.
The Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC), headquartered at the Georgia Institute of Technology, is a nationally recognized science and technology incubator that helps entrepreneurs launch and build successful companies.
The Georgia Research Alliance (GRA) - a model partnership between Georgia universities, business, and state government - helps build Georgia's technology-rich economy in three major ways: by attracting Eminent Scholars to Georgia's research universities; by helping create centers of research excellence; and by converting research into products, services, and jobs that drive the economy.
Georgia BIO, the state's industry trade association, promotes the discovery and application of life sciences products and services through business development, advocacy, education, and networking. Georgia BIO is the state affiliate for the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), and Atlanta will host the annual BIO international convention in 2009.
Georgia's Research Facilities Among Nation's Best
Many of the nation's top research facilities are located in Georgia. Our laboratories provide access to sophisticated infrastructure crucial for making discoveries that generate new technologies.
• The Emory Vaccine Center is dedicated to preventing emerging infectious diseases. The center works closely with the pharmaceutical industry to conduct vaccine clinical trials and has launched a startup company to manufacture and market vaccines developed at the center.
• The Center for Biotechnology and Genomic Medicine at the Medical College of Georgia promotes interdisciplinary research in genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics. The center focuses its current research on autoimmunity, type 1 diabetes, and cancer genomics and proteomics.
• The Center for Biotechnology and Drug Design at Georgia State University focuses on vaccines and diagnostics, applied genomics, bioinformatics, neuropharmacology, and drug design and synthesis.
• The Research Center at Clark Atlanta University encompasses nearly 20 major components, including the Army Center of Excellence in Electronic Sensors and Combat; the Center for Environmental Policy, Education, and Research; the Biomedical Research and Training Program; and the High Performance Polymers and Composites Center.
• The Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) performs or supports more than $100 million in research yearly for governmental, industrial, academic, and private organizations that advance global competitiveness and security of Georgia, the region, and the nation.
• The University of Georgia (UGA) Biomedical and Health Sciences Institute (BHSI) provides leadership and resources for students and faculty at UGA who share a commitment to health. In addition, the Georgia BioBusiness Center enables bioscience startup companies to accelerate early growth through access to management expertise.
Carol Henderson, Director of the Innovation and Technology Office
Georgia Department of Economic Development
75 Fifth St. N.W., Suite 1200
Atlanta, GA 30308
Phone: 404-962-4031 Fax: 404-962-4021
In Focus: “Golden Age” of Spec Development
Explosive Growth of Life Sciences Sector Comes with Challenges
Area Development’s 17th Annual Shovel Awards Recognize State and Local Economic Development Efforts — First Two Platinum Shovels Awarded
The 2021 Top States for Doing Business Reflect Their Locational Advantages
In Focus: Demand for Industrial Land Surges
36th Annual Corporate Survey: Executives Focus on Labor, Energy, Shipping Costs
The Evolution of the Megasite